Wednesday, November 16, 2005

A modest tourney win

I played at a live tourney here in town last night. It was pretty small... only 12 people. However, they had unlimited rebuys for the first 2 hours, and an addon at the break. I managed to chip up from the starting stack (1k) to 6k by the half, then
purchased the addon for an additional 2k in chips, making me a solid chip lead.

Noteable hands

8:05: I've been folding religiously. We're still at 2 tables (shorthanded, 6 per table). I get AK suited in MP. I raise it to 800 (BB is 200), and 4 people come along for the ride. Flop: AA4... UTG checks to me, I bet 500, everyone calls. Turn K. UTG
checks again, I bet out 1k... guy after me folds, button pushes, UTG folds. I call. He flips up.... QQ? Hahaha. Drawing dead. I win.

8:30: T14,000, 200-400 - First hand at the final table. I draw the dealer seat, and deal myself cowboys. UTG folds, everyone else limps. I make it 1400 to go. 2 callers. Flop is 333. Checked around to me, I bet out 1k. first guy folds, other calls.
Turn 4. He thinks for a while, then checks. I bet 2k. He calls immediately, then instachecks when the river brings an ace. I check behind him. He has pocket 9's. I win.

9:10: T20,000 300-600 - Pocket 3's. I limp in to see a family pot, flop comes 359 rainbow. Short stack pushes, everyone folds, I call. He has pocket 5's. I don't improve, and he doubles up.

10:00 T17,000 500-1k - We're 4 handed, and people are basically in all-in/fold mode. I'm still trying to play a little more poker than that, but I'm running out of room to play my way.

10:15 T15,000 500-1k - AT suited in the big blind. folded to the SB, who has been repeatedly going all in every time I'm in the big. I call. He flips over KT. The ace on the flop lets me breathe a little easier, and the 2 on the turn seals his untimely fate. Down to 3.

10:20 T26,000 2k-4k - I fold UTG and the other two get all in. The shortstack had pushed on the BB and was called with K9. He turned a straight, and we were heads up.

10:22 26,000 2k-4k - I'm big blind. First hand heads up, I get pocket tens. Other guy raises it to 10k, I push, he calls with QT. Nothing hits and it's all over.I made $520 last night, from an original investment of $40. This marks my largest cash in a tournament to date.

Keep 'em coming!

No comments: