Tuesday, October 04, 2005

"MIA", "AWOL"..... they both apply

And I have no excuse. I'm sorry. Metaphorically speaking, I've been trying to juggle 15 plates on a tray that's a foot in diameter and has spikes on the bottom... you get the idea. It's been an orgy of stress and worry, to say the least. To start it off, my girlfriend got pretty sick a few weeks ago, and what with balancing work, finances and and sleep, I'm not entirely sure I had what it took to keep her spirits as high as they could have been.

The situation at work isn't great either. My company is primarily a software contracting company; people pay us to make and/or perform regular maintenance on their web sites. We just found out that our annual budget has been frozen, and at the current burn rate, we'll make it through November. So, that means layoffs. 5% of the company staff just got axed in the last week. I hope they're all done now, but who the hell knows. Yet another knot in my back. Just gotta keep my head down and try to be invisible for the next two months. I'm not really all that worried about it, if anything happened I think I could probably land another decent job in a week or two. Maybe at Symantec. *shrug* As long as I have my Tara, I really don't care.

For me, the sun rises and sets with her. I can't say that I'm a great catch, and I would find it simply amazing if she decided to stick around for the rest of her life, let alone the next couple of years. I think a lot of the reason she's still here is the simple fact that I employ a few seemingly old fashioned values; namely, that she knows that no matter what happened, I would never EVER raise a hand to her. She also knows without a shred of a doubt that I've never lied to her. She feels safe with me. And that's good. Because I'm not a mean person. But.... don't nice guys finish last?

That's what I always thought.

No comments: