Wednesday, October 12, 2005

The Big Jump

I've been the owner of this blog for the last year or so now, and I think it's about time I actually start writing about poker, seeing as that's why I started this damn thing.

I've decided to make the leap to playing every day online. What with my job, girlfriend, social life and every other variable you can think of, poker has been a luxury (at least on any regular sort of basis). I just haven't had the time. However, due to a lot of peer pressure from my friends, both live and online, I feel that I need to at least take a real shot at this. I don't have an unreal idea of my skill at this game, but I believe firmly that I have what it takes to be a high stakes player, and a long-time winner.

My whole life, I was never really much good at math. I never felt that it was a question of my intelligence, or ability to absorb and process information; it's more that I have hated every math teacher I ever had. And for what reason? Well, to be honest, they sucked at teaching. None of them ever tried to make the class interesting, they just droned on an on out of a textbook for an hour and a half each day. My main problem was always that I'd understand something up to a certain point, miss one thing, and then be lost for four more chapters.

Who am I kidding? Math is necessary to be a long-time winner in poker. You have to be able to figure out odds on the fly. Implied odds, reverse implied odds, pot odds... without the abilities in math, how could someone possibly survive in this game? Before I get into this, let me just tell you. I may suck at some of the advanced math theory that I tried to pass in high school, but I'm not stupid. I can do quick math in my head, piece of cake. I can figure pot odds no problem; I know how often my flush draw will hit with two cards left to come. The things are I have trouble with are concepts like fold equity, or reverse implied odds. I think that if I had the proper teacher, it would be no problem to pick this up. Not to say that Sklansky isn't a good teacher, but if I have a question that the book can't answer, I'm up the creek without a paddle.

The reason this blog still exists and I haven't just thrown in the towel is because I think that even without these skills (Which I will becomed determined to learn as my poker career progresses) I possess something that will allow me to win. Every game that I go to, every tournament I play in, I get comments on a regular basis about making the correct call. When I'm in a tough spot to call, and I think he might have me beat, but something.... something makes me hesitate. And then I make the call, and I get commended on it by everyone at the table. You might call that a read, you might call it whatever the hell you want. I call it intuition. Maybe my brain is unconsciously figuring the odds for me without me even knowing. Who the hell knows. All I can say is that I am consistently making the correct calls / laydowns. And it feels right.

If any of you want to laugh at me for this, go ahead. I understand. :) I bet if Matt read this he'd be calling me a donkey in no time.

No comments: