Thursday, September 01, 2005

Shorthanded NL is better than sex? Could be.

Played in a friend's shorthanded .25-.50 NL game last night. Buyins started at $20 (5 people), which may not sound like the makings of a large purse, but as the night wore on there were rebuys aplenty. After the first few hours, the standard rebuy amount was up to $50. I believe by the end of the night, the purse was somewhere around $600 or $700.

And I absolutely KILLED the game.

I played very aggressively, defended my blinds, and caught every single card I needed. I hit quads twice last night; First time was with pocket threes, and the flop made my hand. Didn't get as much action as I wanted, but I milked a couple of bets. Second time was with Kings, and when the board hit rags on the flop, I came out firing. Turn and River were both kings, and I actually managed to re-re-raise. You should have seen the looks on both of these guys' faces when I laid down the nuts. It was beautiful. This marks my biggest pot in a NL game to date ($230.50).

Long story short, I bought in for $20, and left with $560. It was really just an amazing night. Even though I did some bullying with my huge stack, I feel that all of my play was justified. I didn't make any stupid calls; I felt like my read was dead-on.

Whatever's left of my writing ability (was there anything to start with?) is gone, since I'm working on 1 1/2 hours of sleep from last night. It took me damn near an hour just to grind this post out. Best of luck to all of you, and the deepest of sympathies for the victims of Hurricane Katrina. My thoughts are with you.

No comments: